As a technology independent company, our customers can count on receiving training with a strong focus on delivering benefits, without any product-specific sales pitch.
AMT conducts numerous technical training courses for plant Engineers and Operators to assist the local staff in implementing, maintaining, and operating APC applications. We also have courses on regulatory control design and tuning to assist control engineers in improving their basic regulatory control system. Any course can be customized to meet the specific needs of a client, based around the following:
- DMCplus Implementation: APC controller implementation for control engineers, centered around the DMCplus technology (Geared towards intermediate and advanced users)
- APC Controller Monitoring for Control Engineers: To assist the control engineer in monitoring and maintaining their own APC application.
- APC Controller Monitoring for Process Engineers: Basic operation of the APC controller, and trouble-shooting techniques for the process engineer. Issues they can resolve, and when it is necessary to involve specialist control engineers.
- Regulatory Control Configuration and Tuning: Operation and optimal configuration of the regulatory control system for proper operation of the process. PID tuning techniques, and workshops to practice the tuning discussed in class.
- APC Operation for the Board Operator: Explanation of the operation of an APC controller, and proper techniques for the operator to interact with and troubleshoot the controller. Typically centered around DMCplus controllers, but can be customized for technology in use at the plant.
AMT offers the following training solutions:
- Traditional and Advanced Process Control training to engineers and operators
- Operator Advisor Plant Simulators
Traditional and Advanced Process Control training
AMT offers standard training courses and workshops in traditional and multivariable advanced control technologies.
- DMCplus intermediate users workshop
- DMCplus tips and tricks for advanced users workshop
- Aspen SmartStep workshop
- Aspen Watch workshop
- ProfitController Implementation workshop
- Configuring and tuning PID regulatory control loops
The training courses are usually offered on site and are tailored to specific site needs; they normally include working with actual plant data and controller problems from the site to bring maximum 'hands on' benefit from the workshops. Courses can also be presented at AMT's offices in Europe and the USA. AMT currently provide public training workshops in Cardiff and will soon schedule workshops in Houston
Details on upcoming training workshops are available from firstname.lastname@example.org - please send us an email for further information.
Operator Advisor Plant Simulators
Operator training is an increasingly important aspect of running any process unit. A revolutionary approach to developing detailed dynamic simulators has been created by the Cutler Technology Corporation. These can be used for either training simulators or more importantly in an on-line setting as an "Operator Advisor" (OA).
The OA application contains a detailed dynamic simulation of the process that is connected to the plant DCS system reading plant data in real time. The OA dynamic simulation is continuously kept current by reading the real time plant data, then updating and adjusting the simulation to ensure consistency with the plant. Both the regulatory control structure and current operating point of the plant are continuously matched by the OA system. The operator can take this simulation off-line at any time to perform training, "what if" studies on the plant as well process and control system trouble shooting.
The OA system is very inexpensive to build and maintain. The starting point for the OA dynamic simulation is the model currently used in any multivariable control application such as DMCplus or RMPCT. Extending this model and building an operator interface are the main requirements to developing an OA system from a multivariable controller model.
AMT develops these dynamic simulation systems using the CTC software. CTC staff are available as necessary to provide any specialized technical support to any OA development project.
Please contact us for further information.
What clients are saying:
"AMT's Workshops have been used to both train engineers new to the field and to share best practises among seasoned advanced control professionals within BP. Staff at our Australian, European and North American refineries have all benefited from the workshops and we expect to continue sending people in the future."
Advanced Control Advisor
BP Oil Refining Technology
"Finding adapted and efficient training courses in the APC world is a challenge. For both TOTAL Refineries and Petrochemicals sites, AMT workshops have always given the right answer to the need, giving our engineers an efficient way to share knowledge with other professionals around the world. We are looking forward to new courses and expect to attend these in the future."
Laurent Ferrari & Vincent Boudier
"I've been on a few MPC courses in my day, and this one was the best. What I especially appreciated was the focus on real-life design issues and practical solutions, without trying to sell the technology."
Chevron, Cape Town Refinery
"The course is an excellent practical grounding in the workings and use of DMC. It will give you the tools to be able to go back to your plant and implement a DMC on your process. AMT staff are very knowledgeable and very forthcoming with that knowledge."
Advanced Control Group
Petroplus Coryton Refinery